Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Since (poets rally 44)




I haven’t smiled
Since…


But today

I feel wind blowing
                  from
          a new
direction


Rusty weathervanes squeak as they turn
Colorful kites soar over unfamiliar park trees
Fisherman, baffled, walk to the sunlit side of the pond, to cast
The cautious buck pokes his horned crown out from bristly brush
A red stained wren sings a song solely for newly opened windows

I feel wind blowing
                  from
          a new
direction

Though my eyes still ache when touched by sunlight
I clearly see a narrower path, now revealed
As giant firs drop their arms in homage to the keeper of wind
I smell the aroma of pine sap; tears of joy from the forest that once only whispered its secret in soft night breezes

Though I woke
In the wake
            of yesterday’s
                               storm

Today

I sense wind blowing
                       from
              a new
direction


And
I smile
For the first time
Since…


POET RALLY 44 WINNERS: http://promisingpoetscafe.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/the-perfect-poet-award-4-rally-week-44/

21 comments:

Judith C Evans said...

Rediscovering joy really is like sensing a "wind blowing from a new direction." Been there myself. I really like the structure of this poem, and its connections between nature and the heart.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

stunning expressions/impressions.

bless you, find your way to a lovely bay.

Rashmi said...

Beautiful....
Wish that the wind always blow for you in 'todays' direction and there is always a smile on your face.
Thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

Today, after reading this, I too smiled for the first time..:) Amazing choice of words and feel..definitely have a neat flow...and the essence of the verse..'I sense wind blowing from a new direction'...captured well..

Maggie said...

What a lovely poem.

Your blog is gorgeous. Don't touch that tree! : )

Uma Anandane said...

provoking poem ..nice :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful - lexis and structure and so careful and compact. Untouchable - like your tree!

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Dear Henry, thanks for visiting my blog. Sorry it took so long to come over here.

The structure of your windy stanzas is exquisite, and the words so carefully chosen... the tree itself is an example of nature's wisdom - ain't no wind gonna blow down that mistress of heaven!

Amy
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/twofer-damp-laundry-haiku-rank/

Radhika said...

Thank you Henry for all the lovely words in my blog. Both of us wrote about smiles, for me, the inspiration was a stranger woman and for you the blowing wind. Let us not loose our smiles ever. Loved your poem very much. Radhika

Peggy Nolan said...

So glad you felt the wind blowing from a new direction and smiled! Lovely poem!

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely poem

Anonymous said...

This was great, I could see the visions from your word be starting "Though my eyes may ache"

Anonymous said...

I love the style. Wonderful poem =) I hope you will have cause to smile a lot in your life!

Mystic Margarita said...

That blew me away! beautiful piece.

Mary said...

I love 'wind blowing from a new direction.' We all need this sometime!

Harry Nicholson said...

I'd read anything written by a man that posted that picture.
The stanzas weave like a path through the woods.
Thank you

Anonymous said...

hmmm nice feeling, you captured it well, anticipation with a sense of happiness. I love that tree :)
enjoy the rally!

http://lynnaima.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/of-what-remains-2/

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

What a beautiful poem!

Olivia said...

This Rally, I have just read too many poems with smile being the theme.. hunh! now thinking.. :D

And yeah! Keep smiling like no ones business!
Hugs xox

Anonymous said...

Very uplifting piece. a reminder that fresh burst of air will always come our direction. Nicely composed ~ Rose

Anonymous said...

Ah, Henry...perhaps if I read this poem daily I, too, will begin to sense the wind blowing from a new direction and can smile once again as well...

Truly beautiful.

~Paula

I'm Just a Man (Recording Experiment ... I can't sing)

I am in the mood to change my tree to a cubic version.