Monday, June 13, 2011

My Kingdom

I am the emperor
Iceberg cold
I survive
Like a king
Ruling alone
Ordering myself about

I have total control
All power
I am the man
The ruler of my domain

Who needs you
I don’t cry for Argentina
Stay there all you want
I am not insane

I have my castle of ice
My throne of blue
Look at my cathedral
When I speak my own voice returns in fading waves of subjection
I march to the beat of my own heart

I will not apologize
Even at forty below zero
Some say I cried this castle with frozen tears
But they lie
And it’ll be off with their heads
When I find them
I did not cry

This is my home

I am the emperor
My kingdom is pride



For Jingles Poetry Potluck

9 comments:

Jingle said...

you are the emperor in this one,
so very well done.
cheers.

Olivia said...

Oh yeah!!!
I heard ya...
Very well "declared" lols

Kavita said...

Oh yeaaa!! We sure are the kings/queens of our own bubbled empires alright! So well written, Henry...
The slight hints of sarcasm, of cynicism and of denial made it oh so real! Really very well expressed!

Pat Cegan said...

Third poem, now I know I love your poems. I am still laughing. I live alone on the edge of a floresta and feel the same as your character:

survive
Like a king
Ruling alone
Ordering myself about

Yep, talking to myself, laughing out loud at my Guides who whisper in my ear, all part of the picture. Thanks for your poems and your ability to make me laugh. Hugs, pat

Lyn said...

I like the bitter-sweet undertone, and certainly uphold the concept of "ordering myself about"..how else to know one's stature?

bendedspoon said...

wow! you rule! this is really cool :)

Anonymous said...

Great poem I love the powerful words and delivery. I always think of penguins as adorable but you've given them some attitude!

WyomingDiva said...

That last line - what a zinger! I love poems that evoke an emotional response in me. Yours did!

Blaga said...

I like the confidence here!

I'm Just a Man (Recording Experiment ... I can't sing)

I am in the mood to change my tree to a cubic version.